Triumph Motorcycles
 What i've been up to
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  04:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi De Hi campers,

Well the 38 project is now finished, well is anything really ever finished?
Bit of a 'work in progress' as every time I ride it I find something else to tweak or change.
Anyway after 3 long years in the man cave Mr Ted has finaly emerged.

First official outing was the Triumph Pre Unit rally at Blenheim in the upper south island New Zealand in company with a 51 Thunderbird, 56 Tiger 110 and two 58 Thunderbirds.

Same trip to the pre unit rally, taken during a stop while touring up the Kenepuru Sound road, note the metal road, you guys may better know it as unsealed or shingle surface.

Pre unit rally and yours truely with Mr Ted on teh wharf at Waitaria Bay.

Move forward 4 weeks to lat eOctober and a day trip around the Ruapuke Coast,

Mr Ted and my mate rays 51 Thunderbird during a break on the Ruapuke Coast road.
Once again unsealed roads.
Just the sort of thing these old bikes were put together for.

Same spot and a better view of were we were heading.
200 plus K's of winding twisty roads with almost 120k on unsealed surfaces.

Lunch stop at Kawhia, Whitebaite sandwich and a beer.
Kawahia is a small west coast fishing village with a population of around 500.

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer
1959 T20 Cub (in captivity)
Oh and one modern of another marque

My Triumphs don't bleed they are just marking their territory.

Mike M.

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  06:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super job Trevor and great pics. A little antique work on those photos and I would believe I was looking back 50 or 60 years.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

JubeePrince

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  13:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Trev -

Thanks for the yarn and pics! Looks like a great time was had by all....and you still have summer ahead of you!

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike" What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."
Go to Top of Page

TR6Ray

17 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  10:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work, finally paying off. It must be very satisfying to ride the "Ted", knowing that you built it from pieces. Mr. Turner was probably looking down on you and smiling.

TR6Ray

64 TR6/R
Illinois, USA
Go to Top of Page

JOB

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  06:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Trev, That is one nice looking bike you have there. I would bet you have a lot of re-engineering in the bike also. Your time and patience has paid off. I would guess your 38 is one of a few if any on either island, but there is not another one like it. Fantastic job Trev. You do great work.

I used to do the same thing with Cushman scooters back in the early 60's only I did not have to scrounge parts and do engineering work. All parts were available and plentiful. I just swapped parts from one year scooter to the next. And the Cushmans were a lot simpler than the motor cycles. I could re-build an engine in a couple of hours or so, I think. It's been so long ago I can't honestly remember. I still have two Cushmans in a shed, I haven't looked at in 25 or more years.

Hope you have a great time enjoying the bike this summer while some of us are on the other side of the equator in the frozen trundra.

Jerry
71 TR6
Minnesota
Go to Top of Page

RodH45

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  12:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the photos of the pre-unit ralley Grumpy. Those are some sweet bikes and of course the beautiful New Zealand countryside is breathtaking. Great combination, bikes, NZ and good friends, doesn't get much better than that.

Your `38 looks great! Well done sir!

I'm getting the urge for another project, hoping to find a good pre-unit triuph that needs a good home.

RodH '68 TR6R
Go to Top of Page

gruff

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  16:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lovely old trumpets,credit to you all.i`m so jeleaous wish i was somewere like nz instaead of gloomy old england.
Go to Top of Page

tangerine-jack

USA
709 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  11:29:24  Show Profile  Visit tangerine-jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grump, every time you post photos of NZ I feel the urge to jump in a plane and fly there with my Triumph packed away on a carry-on. Someday, oh yes, someday, I will get there and ride....

Good show on the resto- bikes were made to ride and I am glad this frame is not tucked away in a museum somewhere. Enjoy the fruits of your labor my friend.....

Words are so unnecessary!

Go to Top of Page

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  00:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been a while, well a bllody looooooong while since i last posted, lot has happened since then.
Alternator cooked itself big time on first morning of our national rally, keyway sheared which allowed th erotor to move on th eshaft, them jamed up and started oscilating and all turned to **** after that.
Need ride out was out mid winter Mad Farmers ride all round the central and Eastern north island.
Tad over 1000k trouble free.
Then last September the 2011 Pre Unit owners rally. Taihape across the Gentle Annie to Hastings, down to Castle Point and on to Lake Ferry, back up to Pihiatua and then Taihape. Once again 1,200k with only casulaty the bloody carrier shook to bits.
Big ride was December 11, miles wise very short at only about 300k door to door but invlved a 4hr car ferry ride to Great Barrier island.Slept rough, lived on fish before the weather turned and forced us into a pub.
Did the 2012 National rally on Ted and then june the Mad Farmers yet again, 950k of backroads in the south Waikato / King Country this time.
Have the old bugger striped down at present preping for the 2012 Pre Unit rally at Punakaiki, west coast south island.
Google that one guys and eats ya hearts out.

So as you all know this old bike is a 'work in progress' so as to not get everybody salvinating to much over scenic shots heres a couple of improvemnts made to date.
Mike will recognise this, brass vintage motorcycle fire extinguisher he was king enough to chase down and send on to me. Knocked the end off and fitted a nice brass tap, now carriers ferment sugar cane juice.

Pre war smiths clock from an Austin car, ideal tool on a bike so you know when it is 4.00 o'clock, not good form to start the rum any earlier.

Now sporting a sheeps skin, well all those miles are a bit hard on the arse.

Biek has of course been refered to as Mr Ted named after the late great Edward Turner of Triumph Engineering fame who desingned the first parrale twin.

And have fuitted a Trident oil filter, tucks away nicely under the gearbox.

Cheers,
Trev

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer

Go to Top of Page

don reid

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  18:04:52  Show Profile  Visit don reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so much awesomeness in this thread! thanks for sharing your update. i LOVE the fire extinguisher (and it's new improved use)!!

don reid | 1972 T150V trident 750
california
Go to Top of Page

tangerine-jack

USA
709 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  21:10:11  Show Profile  Visit tangerine-jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice. All I've done in the last few years has been to replace my handlebar bushings. But the fire-X gives me ideas, oh yes'm, ideas...

Words are so unnecessary!

Go to Top of Page

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  15:37:40  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watch this space, currently preping for this years rally which is one again in the upper South island at a place called Collingwood.
Another pristine corner of Godzone
Prep includes new piston, hone, new head bolts & custom made head gasket.
Will post sme evidential photos later today of the mess .
Also working on a new bit of decoration for th eold bugger............all will be revealed in due course .

I'm out of here.

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer

Go to Top of Page

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  05:57:00  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well boys and girls heres the latest little treasure.
Castrol oil bottle from the 1950's.
WW11 Brit army amo pouch with the top flap cut off.
French army officers dress belt with double buckle
Brit army webbing
Put it all together and what do you have............my own mobile dinnosaur juice.

[URL=http://s486.photobucket.com/user/san3tre/media/MrTedsoilbottle1.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s486.photobucket.com/user/san3tre/media/MrTedsoilbottle2.jpg.html][/URL]

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer

Go to Top of Page

Mike M.

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  04:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another cool addition to the Prewar. Add any more gadgets like that you'll need a liquor license to ride it.

Mike

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000