New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bsa-baby

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  22:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'm new to the site. I have a 69 A50 Royal Star. I've been working out some minor issues with the bike since I bought it (carb, petcocks, clutch cable, etc, etc). It drives fine around the city, but once on the highway (or at faster speeds in the city) its like riding a jackhammer. It also vibrates heavily at idle (like at a stoplight). I occasionally ride a friends 71 Bonnie so I do have a reasonable comparison of a normal Brit bike of similar size/age. I noticed some irregular wear on my sprocket so I'm starting by replacing my chain, but has anyone here had to deal with balancing cylinders? I'm getting worried that's the real culprit.
Thanks!
Jamie

bsa-baby

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  22:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and here she is below!

Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  01:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They all vibrate,but if its really bad,check your engine mounts - especially the rear engine/frame mounting plates and the head steady on top of the rocker cover. Bad rear chain adjustment/alignment is likely to account for the sprocket wear.
When was the last time that the engine was rebuilt ? If the bottom end has not been correctly assembled then the crankshaft may need to be balanced (not cylinders) and or correctly assembled ie timing side correctly shimmed. This would be expensive as you have to split the crankcases to balance the crank.
Scott

quote:
Originally posted by bsa-baby

Oh and here she is below!

Go to Top of Page

bsa-baby

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  01:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this is worse than any old brit i've ever been lucky enough to ride. thanks for the advice; i have no idea when the last rebuild was, neither does the last owner. i have checked the mounts - they look good. im crossing my fingers its not the balance.
thank you,
jamie
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  19:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as another suggestion,check your primary drive. Make sure that the clutch is not loose and that the primary chain is adjusted correctly. How many miles has the current engine done ?
Scott
quote:
Originally posted by bsa-baby

Yeah, this is worse than any old brit i've ever been lucky enough to ride. thanks for the advice; i have no idea when the last rebuild was, neither does the last owner. i have checked the mounts - they look good. im crossing my fingers its not the balance.
thank you,
jamie

Go to Top of Page

aprophet

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  09:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
making sure the "packing pieces" are there will help a lot
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly