New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markb

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  21:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I just bought my first Norton and hope someone can help me out with finding out what model I have. I know it is a 750 Commando but the handlebars and seat have been replaced. The frame plate looks like it says 1971 and the SN is 145596. The engine number is the same but has 20m3s or 2cm3s before it. The tank is yellow and the bottom is strait, the side panels are black. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I plan on getting it running the maybe later restoring it. The bike was parked in 1977;the owner said he thought it had a bad coil. I am not sure on what steps I should take to try and get it running?? It has been sitting for the last29 years???
Mark

captain chaos

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  15:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hardly an expert, but since no one else bothered to reply, here's my two cents.

The first place to start is to get a manual. The factory manual is available for your bike, and is good to have. The Haynes one is good also, and is geared more toward the home mechanic. I have both, and I'm glad I do.

The next step is to join a club. INOA has a regularly published magazine, and well as technical literature. Regional clubs have the advantage of face to face meetings and a chance to make friends who can help you. You'd do well to join both.

In the unlikely event that your bike only has a bad coil, it should be capable of running on one cylinder. Before starting it, drain and replace the engine oil, primary chain oil, and transmission oil. Drain the gas tank and carburetors before trying filling up the tank with fresh gas. If your bike has been stored with gas in the carbs, you're likely to have trouble with them.

Also, you should remove the speedometer drive from the rear wheel. You can run the bike without it, and you should disassemble, clean, and repack it prior to putting it back on. Repack with disc brake bearing grease. You can save yourself a hundred bucks by not using it prior to lubricating.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If none of this works, buy a Suzuki. Yuck, yuck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000