New member, hello and ? re: 71 Lightning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greg Benner

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  15:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, my name is Gre Benner, new to the forum. I am american,live in Los Angeles and have a 1971 Lightning. i do get to the UK a couple times a year, I keep a Suzuki V Strom with a good frienf who lives in Birmingham.

I look forward to getting to know some of you.

I do have a question on my 1971 Lightning. It has a "dove grey" frame, whick the seller told me was offered only in 1971(The entire bike has been repainted). I have had a couple mates suggest they had never seen this color frame, And I admit I haven't either, although I am not knowlegable about this I had a 440 in the 60s, always wanted a twin). Would anyone know is this might be original? Maybe any sources to specifications or artices/picturs?

Thx, greg

1971 Lightning

rwarner

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  20:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello All;

Welcome Greg; I'm Bob, I live in Victorville.(the town you stop in for relief on the way to Vegas) I have a '66 L model in the garage, in bits. My T120 is my first "wife". Sorry no answer to your Q.

Bob
'68 T120R

Edited by - rwarner on 08/26/2008 08:57:52
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  18:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Benner

Hi all, my name is Gre Benner, new to the forum. I am american,live in Los Angeles and have a 1971 Lightning. i do get to the UK a couple times a year, I keep a Suzuki V Strom with a good frienf who lives in Birmingham.

I do have a question on my 1971 Lightning. It has a "dove grey" frame, whick the seller told me was offered only in 1971(The entire bike has been repainted). I have had a couple mates suggest they had never seen this color frame, And I admit I haven't either, although I am not knowlegable about this I had a 440 in the 60s, always wanted a twin). Would anyone know is this might be original? Maybe any sources to specifications or artices/picturs?

Thx, greg

1971 Lightning

Edited by - f scott dundas on 12/24/2008 18:06:34
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  18:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg
the frame colour for your lightning is correct. For 1971 BSA painted their frames Dove Grey.It is the only year model that they did this for. In 1972 they went back to black. It is symptomatic of why they went out of business - they fixed things that did not need fixing and did nothing about oil leaks, vibration,poor electrics,no starter motors etc etc. All the things the Japs did well !!
The 1971 models were also criticised for excessive seat height
The tank colour for 1971 was bronze with a white bottom (2gallon) or Bronze (4 gallon)for LIghtnings or sterling moss with white bottom(2gallon) or sterling moss (4 gallon)for Thunderbolts

Regards
Scott

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Benner

Thx, greg

1971 Lightning

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000