Blown coil - don't know why
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bkeehner

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  22:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was riding my 72 Thunderbolt a few nights ago and I suddenly began to lose power and backfire. When I finally got the bike home, I found that I had blown a coil, (the other one still works, still provides spark). I can't figure out why. I have a new wiring harness and 2 year old electrical components. It seems like there was some power surge or something that blew the coil, but I don't know how. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was running my headlights at the time and the bike had been running for about an hour when it happened. I'd really appreciate any help- thanks alot, BK

captinjack

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  10:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure hope you got the problem fixed as I just joined this forum so my reply is a bit late.

My reply for others is that vibration is the big coil killer. Not much else kills them other than Murphy's Law that anything can fail.

You didn't mention whether you still have points or an electronic ignition.

The big secret to avoid the Lucas gremmlins is to have good grounds for everything. I made a new wiring harness for my T-bird and ran separate grounds to all electrical components as well as jumpering across the two frame halves.

Happy Trails to you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000