Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 British Motorcycle Forums
 Norton Motorcycles
 what tool fits the back bolt for head removal?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

traiger

1 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  20:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1)i have blown my head gasket on my 72 norton fasback. i was wondering what tool fits the back bolt that is upside down. i can't find any wrench that fits. all the others have easily come off with 9/16. any thoughts are greatly appreciated. do i have to take the entire cylinder casing off to remove the single bolt?
2) wondering if anyone knows if the generic wideline seats are easy to fit onto a fastback commando frame, and if the mods to make the attachments is an easy job. thanks. stephen in ny 10/12/06

L.A.B.

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  05:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hexagon size is = 1/4" Whitworth.

British Standard Whitworth (BSW) and British Standard Fine (BSF) spanners/wrenches being marked/identified by the bolt SHANK diameter not the hex size,(BSW and BSF using the same hex sizes but the hex size being one size different in relation to the shank size) and even the correct size spanner/wrench could need to be ground down enough to get it between the nut and the barrel.

Also worth noting that that actual nut/stud thread is not Whitworth but 26 tpi CEI (Cycle thread).
Many different thread forms are likely be found on a Commando (SAE [UNF/UNEF/UNC]/Whitworth/BSF/CEI/BA/BSP[Gas]) and some could have been replaced over the years (with metric sizes!!) so it is wise to check as you go.

The 1/4" Whitworth (or 5/16" BSF) jaw size is .525" which is 13.34mm. So one option would be to grind a 13mm spanner/wrench to fit, if Whitworth tools aren't easily available where you live?

Table of Whitworth BS(F) bolt/hex sizes:
http://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth_table.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000