Weak ignition?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chuckb01

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  11:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 73 Norton 750 Commando that I completly restored from the ground up. The previous owner installed a boyer ignition system so I used that. The bike now has only about 100 miles on it and the least little bit of contamination on the spark plugs and it will miss fire and pop and back fire. I'm talking a little bit of carbon or soot. I have had to clean the plugs 5 or 6 times now and then it will run great, for a while. The engine is running just slightly rich and for now, I just as soon leave it that way. If I take a plug out and hook it to the spark plug wire and kick over the starter, the spark seems very weak and erratic. The battery is fully charged and the plugs are NGK BP7ES. I am told these are the cross for the originals, but who knows? The coils are new and the same size as the originals and are german made and 6 volt. They are wired as Boyers instructions. + of one coil to ground and - of that coil to + of the other coil and - of that coil to the boyer box. I did make the plug gap slightly smaller and this seemed to help. Anyone out there got any ideas?? Thankyou

Don7

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  17:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You say the battery is fully charged,but is it in good condition?
Boyers are very sensitive to voltage.The battery should be between about 12.5 and 13.8 volts with the ignition switched on.Lower voltage will give problems and higher voltage will damage the unit.
Boyer have their own web site dealing with this so if you need to you could have a browse. Don7.

Donald Mackay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000