Triumph Motorcycles
 paint help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2013 :  14:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The research that I've done the name Don Hutchinson keeps coming up for paint colors and correctness of paint work. I'm probably going to buy his paints, but not sure of who is going to paint my tins yet. I would love to send it to him, but don't know if its in the budget. Is there anyone else that paints vintage triumphs here in the states? I am talking about a tank and 2 fenders only in 1972 colors. Can you guys tell me what to expect for s cost of a complete paint job?

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  16:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what a tank and fenders would cost to paint in the US,(also what about the oil tank side cover and frame?)but why dont you ring the guy you mention (Don Hutchinson)and ask him?
Scott
Go to Top of Page

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  20:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scott for always responding, you been a big help for me. Just from looking at his website, price would be $350 per fender and $800 for tank that includes paint and labor. He is suppose to be the guy when it comes to Triumph paints and patterns. Was hoping someone that has dealt with him and his work could respond. $1500 seems high to me, but I know paints and materials and especially labor are expensive. Not building a "show" bike, but it is turning out to be a nice restoration that I plan to keep for a while. Painter I work with is shooting the black side covers with the decal under the clear coat. Frame and all other black parts were powder coated.
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  15:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what its worth a tank and fenders in Australia would cost around $1500 to paint and clear over.If you included oil tank, side cover,frame and fittings like footpegs,top yoke etc cost would be up to $2500.Your guy at $1500 sounds about right and you have to remember that these are small fiddly jobs (scalloping and pinstripping especially) that require a lot of preparation for a good finish. A good paint finish and some alloy polishing will make the bike pop and stand out. I reckon it is worth the pain to get it done right. When you have the oil tank and gas tank finished make sure that you clean any sandblasting grit and crap out before you put on the bike.If you are not going to run a proper oil filter the original wire strainers will let any crap circulate and you will trash you new motor real quick. Let the paint harden then wash out with petrol then use a high pressure water hose and blow dry with compressed air.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000