Triumph Motorcycles
 Bonneville Gas Tank
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  00:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another dilemma, have a 73 and later tank on my 72 T120. This tank was on there when I got the bike , stripped in down to bare metal and could not believe how nice it is. No dents,1 small ding and clean inside. Personally I think its a better looking tank than the 71-72. Have looked at tanks for $300- 400 that are no where close to the condition of the one I have. Not that I plan on selling the bike, but how much would this hurt the value, even if I paint it up 72 colors. Everything else is going to look stock except for exhaust, cannot choke it down with those stock mufflers.

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  22:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Australia the tanks for a '72 Bonne were either an English teardrop tank or a larger 4 gallon breadbox tank. I think the US export models were fitted with smaller (and nicer looking)teardrop tanks. I dont think that there is any appreciable difference between 72 and 73 tanks.
There will probably be a lot of differing opinions on this but mine is that having a later model tank painted in the correct 72 colours will not make any real difference to your bikes value.
The 72 bikes were fitted standard with chrome mufflers that resembled the shape of a Dunstall megaphone. There are plenty of megaphone pipes available that look right but sound really good.
Scott
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000