Triumph Motorcycles
 Tappered Steering Bearings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  23:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a set of tappered steering bearings #97-0111R from BO a few months back for my 70 bonnie and after installing them I noticed that the head light ears don't quite meet up with the top lug. The bearing seems to be seated all the way into the yoke at top and bottom. Has anybody else come across this problem and do you have a solution? I did notice that the TIMKEN bearing box also had a BO inventory tag on it that had #97-1018R typed on it that also had the number 97-0111R hand written on it above the type written number. So, I'm not sure if I got the right bearing or not. I know, I should contact Brit Only, but thought I'd just throw it out there to see if anybody else had the same problem.

Gary
1970 T120R

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  21:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn! Hasn't anybody come across this problem? There has to be somebody on this site that's used tappered roller bearings for the steering,on their bike. If you haven't used them before, go out and buy some and install them (right away) and tell me what the heck I have to do to make'm work. I mean you guys have had these bikes for decades. Speak up and give me some advice gosh darn it. And I don't want any BS advice. I want good straight forward, down to earth, no bull shipper advice. Now, I expect something in the next 10 minutes or the heck with you.

Your freind,
Gary

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  23:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, the heck with you guys.

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  19:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess what! I found out the 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap at the top of the headlight ears and the top of the triple tree is normal. I purchased a Triumph restoration book on ebay and they said the gap is normal. So, if you know of anybody that's concerned about the gap you'll know the answer.

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  08:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry mate. Could have told ya that,but just saw your rant!
Scott
Go to Top of Page

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2013 :  01:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks anyway Scott!

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly