Triumph Motorcycles
 72 Bonneville
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  16:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glass beaded my cylinders, want to return them to original finish. Can you guys help me out with this . Thought about powder coating them, but unsure of any cooling issues. What was that black crinkled finish originally I guess is my question?

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  20:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original finsh on the cylinders was high gloss black paint not a crinkle finish.
Just go to any auto store and get a can of heat resistant high gloss black engine paint,mask up the bolt holes,oilways and gasket surfaces then either paint it on with a brush or spray it on (depending whether you buy a spray can or paint in a can - either is fine)I wouldnt powder coat the cylinders - leave that for the frame and black cycle parts.
Scott
Go to Top of Page

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  22:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you , exactly what I needed. I did have the frame and all other black parts powder coated, in the process of recovering seat and reassembly.
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  00:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you are ready to assemble the top end,I always find it easier to bolt the bottom end into the frame and then bolt the cylinders and head to the bottom end rather than completely assemble the motor and bolt the whole motor into the frame.This is especially so with the oil in frame models.
good luck with it!
Go to Top of Page

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  20:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Scott, would have tried to stuff it in complete.
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  00:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will find the top end much easier to build when the bottom end is bolted into the frame. The bottom end is also easy to bolt into the frame without the top end attached,but you will need a mate to help you as it is a two man job. Do it carefully and you wont scratch the powdercoat on the frame. Try wrapping the bottom frame rails in plastic cling wrap before you try bolting in the bottom end.
Also make sure that you have a Triumph parts book and a decent workshop manual to refer to. British Only have them and they arent that expensive,but necessary when you are having trouble working out how the bits and pieces fit together. The parts book will save you a lot of brain damage and punch the wall type moments!
Scott
Go to Top of Page

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  18:10:32  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also if no friends handy or her indoors nail polish is wet and wont help, try laying the motor and frame on its side and bolting then standing both upright, easier is the cycle parts are not bolted on, in other words just a frame and motor.
Other thing to be aware off if you decide to lift the fully assembled engine in takle it from the off side, I find bubble wrap good to protect fresh paint during assembly so you bont end up scratching it.

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer
1959 T20 Cub (in captivity)
Oh and one modern of another marque

My Triumphs don't bleed they are just marking their territory.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000