Triumph Motorcycles
 72 Ttriumph Bonneville
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  09:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, new to the forum . I'm in the process of restoring my 72 Bonneville that I bought 24 yrs. ago. When I purchased this bike at age 23, all I knew that it was a 650 Tri. with a Harley rear wheel and mikuni carbs, but it was a numbers matching bike. Probably should have passed on this one, but didn't. Bike was missing a lot of parts to put in back together mainly stock. I will have some questions if you don't mind answering them. Looks like a great site for information. Any help will be appreciated.

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  18:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And your questions are?

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer
1959 T20 Cub (in captivity)
Oh and one modern of another marque

My Triumphs don't bleed they are just marking their territory.
Go to Top of Page

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  13:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wheels are all apart, had my hubs powder coated( not too crazy about that now, but whatever)want to relace with new spokes. I see a couple different spoke kit options, which would you suggest? Question #2. Front wheel cleaned up nice, rear wheel will clean up , but missing a small section of chrome, leaning towards replacing rear. Looking for correct and best price for a replacement, again too many options.#3 have a very nice original rear fender assembly from a 71 BSA 250 with silver/grey tail light assembly. Would this be correct for my 72?. Was told it was, but want to confirm. I see a lot of black ones.

Edited by - jp 72 on 09/29/2013 13:10:10
Go to Top of Page

f scott dundas

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  07:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The correct colour on the conical hubs and the long tail light assembly is silver/light grey. The original spokes were just cad pated. A better replacement is to respoke with stainless steel spokes. You could rechrome your old rear rim or buy a new one - either way will probably cost about the same. The correct rear rim is a WM3x18 inch while the front is a WM2x19 inch.
Check and see if BO have stainless steel spoke kits that would suit front and rear conical hubs for WM2x19 and WM3x18 respectively.
The rear fender of a 250 BSA may fit as they also used the same OIF as a 650 (Triumph or BSA) . just see if the mounting points will suit your Bonneville frame. The tail light is certainly the same. Hope that helps.
Scott
Go to Top of Page

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  01:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Soooooooooo before you pulled the wheels apart did you measure the offset and take note of the spoke patern?
Who is going to re-lace your wheels, if a novice you will need the above info.
Let me know if you dont have the required, I think I have it somewhere but will take some finding.
As Scoot says go with Stainless spokes and suggest unless you have an unlimited budget that you get your rim re-chromed.

Cheers,
Trev

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer

Go to Top of Page

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  14:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw on YouTube some guy recommended taking a picture of your wheel before removing all of the spokes so you'll know the patern when you go to replace them. I thought it was a good idea however I haven't gotten around to replacing my spokes yet so I haven't actually tried it.

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I took pictures of everything I have broken down. Going to have a old friend and ex -triumph dealer help me with the relace. He doesn't get around like he used to, so I try not to bother him too much.
Go to Top of Page

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  01:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your lucky to have that old Triumph Dealer friend. Pick his brain for as much knowledge as you can (without loosing him as a friend) because once he's gone so's all that wisdom. Old people rule!

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  01:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every third time you go around to pick his brain take a 6 pack of bears and talk bull,...............us old folks appreciate it.

Cheers,
Trev

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer

Edited by - Grumpy on 10/02/2013 01:39:55
Go to Top of Page

jp 72

14 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  18:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No beers anymore, but he does like to talk. I just drool at all the NOS parts and bikes still on the shelf. And no, there not for sale!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000