71 TR6R Front Wheel Bearings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike M.

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2013 :  09:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just replaced the front bearings and grease retainers (conical hub) for the first time, about 20,000 miles since I bought it 20 years ago. Wheel is back in the forks less the cable. The question I have regards the retaining nut on the right side. If I tightened too much it would draw the shoulder inside of the brake hub up against the face of the inner bearing race thus locking the wheel from turning, or so it seems. I don't know how tight the nut was when I took it apart as I used an impact wrench and socket on it and it came loose with no effort. It doesn't make sense that it should be finger tight. Instead the shoulder of the hub should be tight against the inner race. Haynes manual didn't cover that part.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Grumpy

New Zealand
542 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  01:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Grumpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Short answer is, just tight enough so that the wheel turns freely and does not bind.
In short generaly just over finger tight.

Cheers,
Trev

1938 5T Replica
1966 T100 Cafe racer
1959 T20 Cub (in captivity)
Oh and one modern of another marque

My Triumphs don't bleed they are just marking their territory.
Go to Top of Page

Mike M.

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  06:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Trev. I ended up tightening the nut as you suggested and the wheel turns fine. Wheel's back on again and the brake cable in place. Brake light switch even works so we're good to go. Thanks for the input.
Regards.

Mike

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000