Steering Lock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Missouri71TR6R

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  22:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any experience removing a steering lock from a '71 or later OIF Triumph? The old lock has been removed, but the locking screw is still in the cylnder. I was going to put a new lock in just to fill the hole in the steering head, but there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the old lock screw, short of drilling the whole thing out. Is there an easier way?

The idea of the lock is good -- put the lock cylinder in the hole, insert and tighten the screw, then break the screw off along the shear lines and stick a cap in the hole to make it removal proof. But how do you legitimately remove it? As usual, any help would be appreciated!

RodH45

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  12:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drill it and use an easy-out extractor.
Only way I know of to cleanly remove it.
Had to do it on my bike.

RodH '68 TR6R
Go to Top of Page

Missouri71TR6R

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  22:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Guess it's time to do a little drilling and extracting!
Go to Top of Page

tangerine-jack

USA
709 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2012 :  18:03:19  Show Profile  Visit tangerine-jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, drill and extract or drill and tap if it's really in there good. It's really rather simple, as are all Triumph repairs . It's easy to overthink the project (not that I've ever done that myself of course )

Words are so unnecessary!

Go to Top of Page

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  14:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their's just a small plug on top of a screw. Just drill out the plug and then use a Allen wrench to remove the screw. Be carefull not to drill to deep and hit the screw. The plug is only about 3 or 4 mm deep.

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page

Gary

22 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  22:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mistake! A Allen wrench will not work. You'll need a flat screw driver to remove the set screw after you drill out the plug that covers the screw. I just installed a new steering lock on my T120R today and, after careful examination, noticed that the set screw had a slot in it with a concave center that I thought was a Allen slot but, it is NOT a Allen slot. You must use a flat screw driver. Sorry for the miss-information on the previous post. I purchased my new lock and keys from British Only. They had 3 different lock options to buy: 1)A used one; 2)A India manufactured one or #3)I think it was a Taiwan brand. For some reason I purchased the India made lock (because it was cheaper) and I wasn't very happy with it. The lock worked real hard. I had a hard time turning the key in the lock. I finally used several different kinds of lubricant on it to make the key turn all the way. After working the key back and forth several times I finally got it to turn all the way so I could get the key out. I also had to drill out the hole in the lock that the set screw is suppose seat into. There was a hole there but it was to small for the original set screw and the lock didn't come with a new one. So, in my opinion, it would be better to pay a little more and get a better lock.

Gary
1970 T120R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
British Only Forums © British Only Motorcycles & Parts Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000